CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Steppin' on Toes

What do Joel Osteen, T.D. Jakes, Joyce Meyer, Creflo Dollar, Oral Roberts, Marilyn Hickey, and Kenneth Copeland all have in common? They are all members of the Word of Faith movement (Jakes is actually more known for his Oneness Pentecostal beliefs but mixes in with the WF) sweeping our nation. What is wrong with that? The movement and what these teachers preach/ teach is heretical and anti-scriptural. I know some of you who read this blog follow some of these people, reading their books and participating in their Bible studies so you may take offense to this post- I'm ok with that. I challenge you to research the Word of Faith movement yourself, measure it against what scripture says, and see what you come up with. I am specifically referring to what these teachers believe and spread concerning Jesus's death on the cross, the Trinity, and the believer's role today. I too am developing my thoughts on these teachings as proposed by these teachers and will share what I find in the coming days. This is a snazzy site to start some research. The scariest part of this is my former church has propped up some of these people and I'm afraid still ascribes to some of their teachings. Some of you go there now. Could you be under heretical teaching? I'm looking into it myself. It makes my heart ache to think it true.

Remember This:

"My people are destroyed from lack of knowledge. 'Because you have rejected knowledge, I also reject you as my priests; because you have ignored the law of your God, I also will ignore your children.' " Hosea 4:6

OK, quick update: I after doing some additional research I DO NOT believe our former church is under heretical teaching. They are following the Purpose- Driven model making it "seeker-friendly" which need some warnings, but I don't believe heresy is a part of that.

Heresy= the holding or teaching of) an (especially religious) opinion which differs from the official opinion (The opinion I use is the Bible.)

3 comments:

LeslieW. said...

What a great use of your time...if only I could yank myself away from the tube from time to time! I'll have to pray about this, we have not always seen eye to eye on this but I am proud of you for diggin' in. I know God will bless your seeking!

Terri said...

I think you are totally right on. So many times we just accept what people have to say without studying it for ourselves. I know we can't all agree on everything but when you're talking doctrinal issues such as the Trinity, salvation issues, etc., we've got to get the answers right!

Shannon said...

Once again you excel at "education ministry". I am so thankful for you and how you help me focus on Christ, the bible and to really think about what He wants from us here on earth. You really are powered by God, Sugar. Thanks for helping me stay on track and live God's Word. Love you! Shannon